Chris Chivers, who had planned to walk all 24 hours of Tracy’s Relay For Life on May 1 and 2, said he was able to stay on his feet 20 hours.
Chivers estimated he walked nearly 50 miles in a now well-used pair of Saucony Jazz shoes. A member of the M.O.B. Motorsports team, he walked straight through the first 10 hours of the walkathon, benefiting the American Cancer Society, before taking a two-hour break. He then walked four more hours, followed by an hourlong rest. Chivers walked another three hours, took a last one-hour break and powered through the final three hours, motivated by the memory of two co-workers and friends whom he lost to cancer. Boys State delegates announced
Four high school students from Tracy will attend the American Legion’s California Boys State 2010, a summer leadership, citizenship and government instruction conference, from June 19 to 26 in Sacramento.
West High’s Christian Thiessen, Trevor Lewis and Nicholas Moyle and Tracy High’s Brooks Jelinek have earned the distinction. FBLA State Leadership Conference results
West High’s Tyler Jackson put up a top-10 finish in a statewide competition in April. Jackson competed in the Future Business Leaders of America California State Leadership Conference on April 15 and 16 in Irvine, taking home seventh place in Networking Concepts. Whiz Kids winners announced
Results from the Whiz Kids 2010 competition included the following winners:
• Spelling — Sixth grade: Sameera Qureshi, Monte Vista Middle School. Seventh and eighth grade: Mahal Chhotani, Kelly School.
• Writing — Sixth grade: first place, Anthony Mercado, Wicklund School; second place, Emily Castronuevo, Bethany School; third place, Amy Lam, Wicklund. Seventh grade: first place, Effie Nehoran, Traina School; second place, Snigdha Sharma, Bethany; third place, Huzaifa Abdul-Rehman, Bethany. Eighth grade: first place, Amber Hill, Wicklund; second place, Ravneet Sandhu, Bethany; third place, Barak Nehoran, Traina.
• Speech — Sixth grade: first place, Sameera Qureshi, Monte Vista; second place: Adeel Hussaini, Monte Vista; third place, Nneoma Kanu, Bethany. Seventh grade: first place, Brianna Olsen, Monte Vista; second place, Huzaifa Abdul-Rehman, Bethany; third place, Nicholas Hsiao, Monte Vista. Eighth grade: first place, Sarah Bai, Hawkins School; second place, Amber Hill, Wicklund; third place, Barak Nehoran, Traina. Rotary awards 16 scholarships
Sixteen graduating seniors from Tracy and West high schools have been awarded a total of $17,500 in scholarships by the Tracy Rotary Club.
Scholarship winners were presented their scholarship checks, ranging between $1,000 and $1,500, at a recent meeting of the service club in the Platinum Conference Center. Money for the scholarships was raised during the club’s annual crab dinner and through donations from individual members.
Scholarship winners are:
• West High: Kim Huynh, Alistair Shaw, Dennis Coleto, Carolina Angel, Lauren Williams, Jessica Lou Dabandan, Byran Ngo, Dawon Lee and Andrea Arminguay
• Tracy High: Manjot Bagri, Erika Gasior Awd, Stephanie Silva, Joseph Martin, Morgan Northcutt, Araiza Licea and Rosa Segura. National honors for local student
Kelly Sarvey, a Tracy resident who attends Ripon Christian High School, has been honored by the United States Achievement Academy as an all-American scholar and as a United States National Leadership and Service Award winner. Kelly was nominated by Ripon Christian counselor Mari Schuller.
Kelly is the daughter of Bob and Susan Sarvey of Tracy and the granddaughter of Jaqueline Wagner of Emeryville and Bob and Emma Sarvey of Tracy. Mountain House resident earns master’s
Thomas B. Vance of Mountain House was awarded a Master of Arts in International Relations from Salve Regina University in Newport, R.I., on May 16. Tracy student gradutes from APU
Ian Edward Cabuay Kelly of Tracy graduated Saturday from Azusa Pacific University, near Los Angeles, with a Bachelor of Arts in psychology.