Last week’s Remember When photo showed two sisters, Gilda Tometich (left) and Elena Clark, sharing coffee at the Tracy Inn Coffee Shop in April 1993. Gilda still lives in Tracy, but her sister died several years ago. A third sister, Elda Curtin, also lives in Tracy. The three Argenti sisters hailed from Union City, N.J., across the Hudson River from New York City. After marrying three sailors — Tom Tometich, Ray Clark and Joe Curtin — who were serving aboard the cruiser USS Brooklyn during World War II, they moved to Tracy in 1947.
Recognizing the two women in the photo was their sister, Elda Curtin, along with Elena Clark’s granddaughter, Suzette Gulsen of Redwood City, Rosemary Curtin Dooley, Judy Mercer, Bill and Betty Miller and Ida Geist.
• To solve this week’s mystery, or if you can’t wait for the answer, e-mail email@example.com.
TWICE-TOLD TALES 10 years ago — 2000
The Tracy Planning Commission has flashed the green light for the construction of a new auto dealership on Naglee Road. Tracy Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge-Jeep will be housed in a 27,730-square-foot building on property owned by General Growth, which operates the West Valley Mall.
Ed English, a Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory scientist, has resigned from the city planning commission. He is moving to Cincinnati, Ohio.
Ken Yasui Park has been dedicated in the Glenbriar subdivision in south Tracy to honor a Tracyite active in a number of community programs and projects.
Renovation has begun on the Westside Market building at Central Avenue and Eighth Street.
Jim Leonard, first manager of the Mountain House Community Facilities District, is retiring as a county employee. 25 years ago — 1985
Delta College freshman Jamie Warner has been crowned Miss Tracy 1985 at the conclusion of the pageant at Emma Baumgardner Theater on the Tracy High campus.
After 30 years, Dr. A.R. Glover of Tracy is stepping down as Tracy’s representative on the board of the San Joaquin Local Health District.
Lorenz and Vera Wubben were honored on their 50th wedding anniversary at a reception at Mammen Hall. They have lived in Tracy since 1939.
Junior Tim Brown has been named winner of the Harvey Miller Award as the most-valuable player on the Tracy High basketball team.
Eight candidates have filed applications for an appointment to fill the one open City Council seat. They are Steve Murdock, Mark Schmidt, Roy Sissell, Marvin Barth, Carol Schubert, Clyde Bland, Richard Soto and John Muniz Jr. 50 years ago — 1960
After 45 years, Bill Panagos, owner of The Diner restaurant, is returning for a visit to his native Greece. He is being accompanied by his daughter, Joann, 11.
The city of Tracy is spending $6,591 to buy six new police cars from Don Hardy Ford. The price includes $6,115 for trade-ins.
Betty Loop has been appointed head of the U.S. Census program in the Tracy area.
The Ramblin’ Recs have captured the seventh- and eighth-grade basketball title. Team members include Mike Vasquez, Marvin Samuels, David Azbill, Paul Keown Jr., Pat Manning, Lester Cooper, James Glaab, Larry Nicholas, Wayne Maier, Chris Ligonis, Steve Sarras, Alfred Navarro and Dennis Icardi. 75 years ago — 1935
Members of the Tracy City Council have agreed that Parker Acres — between Eaton Avenue and Grant Line Road — should become a part of the city.
Two men were arrested on charges they put “slugs” in local slot machines.
George Gischel, Tracy’s postmaster for the past 12 years, has received a congressional appointment to a new four-year term.
Tracy police are trying out radios in patrol cars, something new in police communications. 100 years ago — 1910
The deputy county clerk will be in Tracy on March 28 and 29 to register voters for the June primary election.
Local druggists are selling syrup of figs as a health remedy.
• Tracy Press archives