The Tracy City Council has taken one of the final steps to establish the 790-acre Northeast Industrial Park. Developers will pay $55,000 per acre in development fees for the first 274-acre portion of the project.
The sugar mill on Tracy’s north side has completed a successful fall “campaign” under a new name, Spreckels Sugar. The plant, which had been operated by Holly Sugar Corp. since 1926, is now owned by Imperial Sugar, which also has the Spreckels label.
San Joaquin Delta College is now registering students at its new Tracy learning center, adjacent to the West High School campus. The community college will offer 31 classes in the spring semester, which begins Jan. 10.
Services have been conducted for retired U.S. Army Lt. Col. John Bethman, 83. As a civilian, he returned to Defense Depot Tracy to head the depot’s data-processing division.
Velas, on the island of São Jorge in the Azores, is Tracy’s second sister city. The Portuguese town joins Memuro, Japan, Tracy’s first sister city. 25 years ago — 1984
Tracy students have shown some gains in the annual California Assessment test.
Dr. Donald Dickenson, who had headed Holly Sugar Corp. research in Tracy, has been named director of agricultural research for Holly.
Tracy High’s basketball team opened its 1984-85 season with an 84-49 win over Modesto in the local gym. Starters for the Bulldogs were Jim Noah and Lauren Foos, guards; Mike Kruse and Sean Cutter, forwards; and Garret Arnaudo, center.
The Tracy City Council has voted to oppose development of the proposed 6,640-acre new town of Carnegie in an unincorporated hillside area south of town.
A decline in the farm economy has hurt the Tracy area, but problems are greater in the southern part of the San Joaquin Valley. 50 years ago — 1959
Running back Loyce Singleton has been named winner of the Peter B. Kyne Trophy as the most valuable member of the Tracy High football team.
Danny Alegre won the Weeks Cup for having the highest academic record among team members.
Tracy author Jane Peyton’s short story, “Night on the Town,” will appear in the December issue of Redbook magazine.
Tracy’s first Woolworth’s variety store is opening at the northeast corner of 10th and B streets (where the Roasted Bean is now).
Next door, Loren Jolley is opening Jolley’s Jewelry in a new location at 51 W. 10th St., and Tracy Camera has moved to 49 W. 10th St. 75 years ago — 1934
Three suspected counterfeiters were arrested in Tracy by local police and are being held for federal agents. The suspects produced and distributed counterfeit coins.
Dr. J.B. Sears, professor of education at Stanford University, has been chosen by Tracy High trustees to conduct a survey on the school’s educational program.
Maurice Chevalier and Jeannette McDonald are appearing in “The Merry Widow” at the Grand Theatre.
The Tracy High Bulldogs recorded a 14-0 shutout over Antioch in the final football game of the season. 100 years ago — 1909
What appeared to be a successful election to form a high school district has been determined to be void. The county district attorney has ruled that the San Joaquin County superintendent of schools, E.B. Wright, failed to properly certify the election.
Jim Lamb of Tracy Soda Works is now selling celery tonic as a tasty, healthy drink.
• Tracy Press archives