Twice Told Tales
by TP staff
Jul 28, 2009 | 6631 views | 1 1 comments | 30 30 recommendations | email to a friend | print
10 years ago — 1999

The House Appropriations Committee has passed a bill that contains $1.2 million for the reconstruction of the Central Fire Station. The building, constructed in 1917 as Tracy City Hall and fire station, was damaged in the October 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

The front yard of Tom Tavares’ home on Roosevelt Avenue has been turned into a topiary zoo, where animals of all shapes and sizes are replicated with vine-covered forms.

Jefferson School is accelerating plans to build a school in the Glenbriar Estates area in southern Tracy. The new school (eventually named Tom Hawkins School) will be the district’s third.

Services have been conducted for retired florist Mildred Glotfelty, 82. She and her husband, Jim, operated Glotfelty’s Flower Shop in Tracy for 48 years.

Services have been conducted for Brinton “Mac” McCauley, 84, who had retired as chief civilian at Defense Depot Tracy.

25 years ago — 1984

Arson is suspected to be the cause of a fire that damaged the Chateau Basque restaurant at 18 W. 11th St. Traces of a liquid were found on portions of the carpeted floor and elsewhere in building. (The building, which once housed Harry’s Chuck Wagon, remains vacant today.)

Former Tracy High quarterback Greg Ennis was voted game’s most-valuable player after the North downed the South, 11-10, in the 11th annual Lions All-Star Football game at University of the Pacific.

Jan Duncan has retired as secretary to City Manager Mike Locke, a position she has held for the past seven years.

G.W. “Bill” and Ethel Brewer have celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.

50 years ago — 1959

Ripon contractor Henry Beuving has been awarded a $29,027 contract to add two classrooms to McKinley School.

Ray Iriart, shortstop for the Jefferson Bombers in the youth American League, turned in an unassisted triple play to lead the Bombers to a 3-1 win over The Hub. He caught a looping drive, tagged the runner going from second to third and touched third base for the third out.

A building permit has been issued for the construction of a bowling alley at the corner of East Street and Grant Line Road. Estimated cost of the building is $200,000.

75 years ago — 1934

Tracy will soon have two movie houses. After Bob Allen, who has managed the Grand Theatre, announced he was moving to the Arlington Hall on Sixth Street, another firm announced it will take over the Grand.

A fire caused minor damage to the Dairymaid Creamery at the corner of 11th and Orient Street (now MacArthur Drive).

Wallace Beery and Jackie Cooper are appearing in “The Bowery” at the Grand Theatre.

100 years ago — 1909

An ice plant has been installed in the Tracy Hotel, located at the corner of Front (Sixth) Street and Central Avenue. The ice is used to cool a refrigerator in the hotel.

Although Bill Banta got Tracy’s only hit — a home run — the Tracy baseball team edged the Yosemites of San Francisco, 1-0.

• Tracy Press archives
Comments
(1)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
WOWreally?
|
November 20, 2009
July???? That is more than years ago.... that is years months now..... please update ....


We encourage readers to share online comments in this forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a space for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Comments that stray from the topic of the story or are found to contain abusive language are subject to removal at the Press’ discretion, and the writer responsible will be subject to being blocked from making further comments and have their past comments deleted. Readers may report inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at tpnews@tracypress.com.