Breakfast and lunch will be served free to all children age 18 and younger who drop in during meal times at any participating school.
Valerie McDonald, director of food services for TUSD, called proper nutrition vital for education.
“We think nourishment is an important part of the learning process,” McDonald said. “We know well-nourished students perform better in school.”
Breakfast and lunch menus vary, but they typically include a fruit or vegetable, and milk is always served. A typical breakfast could be a whole-grain wrap stuffed with ham, eggs and cheese, plus fruit, while lunch might be spaghetti with meat and a fresh vegetable.
McDonald said vegetarian options are offered at all meals, and the menu changes every day.
“It’s a healthy option for students, with whole grains, fresh fruit and vegetables daily,” she said.
Seamless Summer meals have been provided in Tracy for more than eight years, McDonald said, serving an average of 1,500 students each summer.
The program is funded by the United States Department of Agriculture’s Summer Food Service Program primarily for the benefit of children who receive free and reduced-price meals during the school year. Lammersville, New Jerusalem, Jefferson and Banta school districts do not offer summer food programs.
Dates and times for the program vary by school. McDonald said the meals coincide with activities at some of the schools, including summer school, special education classes and Boys and Girls Clubs of Tracy programs. See below for details.
• Contact Glenn Moore at email@example.com or 830-4252.
Free Seamless Summer meals for children will be served at seven local schools this summer:
• Central Elementary School, 1370 Parker Ave., Monday through July 18: Breakfast from 8:30 to 9 a.m., lunch from noon to 12:30 p.m.
• Jacobson Elementary School, 1750 W. Kavanagh Ave.: Breakfast from 8 to 8:30 a.m. June 9 through 13, lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Monday through Aug. 1
• Institute for Global Commerce and Government, 1904 Corral Hollow Road, June 10 through July 15: Breakfast from 7:30 to 8 a.m., lunch from 11:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
• Monte Vista Middle School, 715 W. Lowell Ave., Monday through July 25: Breakfast from 8:30 to 9 a.m., lunch from noon to 12:30 p.m.
• North School, 2875 Holly Drive, Monday through July 18: Breakfast from 8:30 to 9 a.m., lunch from noon to 12:30 p.m.
• South/West Park Elementary School, 501 Mount Oso Road, June 10 through July 17: Breakfast from 7:30 to 8 a.m., lunch from 11:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
• Villalovoz Elementary School, 1550 Cypress Drive, Monday through July 18: Breakfast from 8:30 to 9 a.m., lunch from noon to 12:30 p.m.