Last week’s Remember When “mystery photo” shows Werl and Florence Owen in their jewelry store, Owen’s Jewelry, located for many years at 946 Central Ave. (in a building where Big O Tires is now located). Later, the store was moved to West 10th Street (where Barista’s is now) and sold to Lou and Ann Stopka. Florence died in 1983 and Werl in 2004.
Since she provided the photo, Gussie Owen, not surprisingly, identified her parents in the photo. Also on target were Evelie Grebil and Shirley Borges.
• If you know the answer or can’t wait until next week to get it, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 830-4234.
10 years ago — 2001
Tracy Unified School District offices are leaving the West Building on the Tracy High campus and moving to the new administration building near West High School.
North School special-education teacher Barbara Reed has been named San Joaquin County’s “Teacher of the Year.”
Frank Phillips’ 201 rushing yards paced the West High Wolf Pack to a 31-7 win over East Union of Manteca.
Two new auto dealerships will soon be locating in the Tracy Auto Plaza after receiving development approval from the City Council. The new buildings will be for Tracy Pontiac-Cadillac-GMC and a Mitsubishi dealership.
Only 40 percent of Tracy High’s freshman class passed the state’s first high school exit exam.
25 years ago — 1986
Joan Sparks has resigned as director of Good Samaritan Community Services, a nonprofit organization she founded 12 years ago. She cited health problems.
Bill and Dolly Steinkamp have celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary at a Stockton restaurant.
Directors of Tracy Community Memorial Hospital have announced plans to construct a two-story addition by 1990 to augment the two-story structure completed in 1977.
Jim O’Connor, assistant superintendent for business of Tracy Public Schools, is the new president of the Kiwanis Club of Tracy.
Hay donated by Tracy farmers has arrived in drought-stricken South Carolina, reported Press Co-Publisher Sam Matthews after visiting Ward, S.C.
50 years ago — 1961
Wadsworth Memorial Library has been dedicated in Lincoln Park. Funds to construct the building were donated to the city by George and Marguerite Wadsworth.
A second-half rally gave the Tracy High Bulldogs a 20-14 win over Sonora in Tracy’s first Valley Oak League game of the season.
Asgrow Seed Co. has opened a West Coast sales office on East 11th St.
The new Grant Line Park subdivision on both sides of Buthmann Avenue north of Grant Line Road will include 100 single-family homes.
75 years ago — 1936
Tracy High’s new lighted football field has been dedicated. The facility was constructed with the help of federal funds.
Dennis Looney, former publisher of the Tracy Press, justice of the peace and proprietor of the Barrel Saloon, has died at the age of 63.
The overpass on Highway 50 east of town has been opened. It crosses over Southern Pacific tracks.
100 years ago — 1911
William P. Friedrich, publisher of the Tracy Press and pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, has announced he has sold the weekly newspaper to Ida M. Ross, who has had newspaper experience in Modesto. Friedrich said he is moving Napa County.
Friedrich was the first president of the Tracy and West San Joaquin Board of Trade, which later became the Tracy Chamber of Commerce.
— Tracy Press archives