Last week’s Remember When “mystery photo” showed the original Central School building on Central Avenue being demolished. The two-story building with basement was constructed in 1912 and served as an elementary school until 1938, when the present Central School at Parker and Eaton avenues was completed.
The original building served as ground school for the Boeing School of Aviation in 1940-41 and as the Servicemen’s Club during World War II. Beginning in 1947, it was Tracy City Hall. In 1961, state inspectors ruled the building a fire and earthquake hazard and ordered its destruction. City offices were moved to converted Wainwright Village housing units, where the Tracy Community Center is now.
Mary H. Bacchetti called to point out that the two women in the photo were her mother, Ysabel Calderon (left), and her aunt, Lupe Fajardo.
• If you know the answer or can’t wait until next week to get it, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 830-4234.
10 years ago — 2001
The Tracy City Council has voted to move ahead with developing a multi-modal transportation station at the corner of Sixth Street and Central Avenue.
Tracyites celebrated Mexican Independence Day with a fiesta in Lincoln Park, sponsored by the Boys and Girls Clubs of Tracy.
Circus Vargas bought big-top entertainment to Tracy for a week-long run near the West Valley Mall.
America’s Tire Co. is planning to open a store on Grant Line Road near the Home Depot.
Lammersville School has celebrated the 125th anniversary of the opening of the rural school west of Tracy.
The corn maze at Dell’Osso Farms east of Tracy is bigger and better than last year, according to Ron Dell’Osso.
25 years ago — 1986
Lincoln Park hosted Tracy’s 16th of September fiesta. A parade in downtown Tracy was part of the celebration of Mexican Independence.
The Tracy High Bulldogs opened their 1986 season by blanking Pittsburg, 21-0, on Peter B. Kyne Field. Bulldog running back Danlee Daniels rushed for 92 yards.
Linda Potter has been installed as president of Tracy Mothers of Twins Club.
The Tracy City Council has indicated it wants the city to take over operation of recreation in Tracy from the Tracy District Recreation Commission, established in 1951.
More than 300 chickens and 400 pounds of potatoes were served at the Sunday dinner at St. Bernard’s Festival.
50 years ago — 1961
Mary Vasquez reigned as queen of the Sept. 16 fiesta held in the Tracy Ballroom.
The almond harvest is under way in the Tracy area, and more growers are using mechanical harvesting.
An early storm drenched the Tracy area with more than a quarter inch of rain.
Lt. Roy Lockwood of the Army National Guard has completed helicopter pilot training at Camp Wolters, Texas.
Despite Nick Eddy’s 111 rushing yards, the Tracy High Bulldogs lost their 1961 opener to Downey of Modesto, 18-12.
75 years ago — 1936
Construction of Tracy’s new post office building at the corner of 12th and Adam streets is scheduled to begin Oct. 1.
The 126th anniversary of Mexican Independence Day was celebrated at the Arlington Hall on Sixth Street. Catalina Ramirez was queen of the celebration. Jaime Quintana was master of ceremonies.
The Stag Barber Shop on Sixth Street is featuring haircuts for 35 cents.
100 years ago — 1911
The Board of Trustees (City Council) agreed to sell a total of $50,000 in water and sewer bonds to three different financial institutions, including the Bank of Tracy and West Side Bank.
Edward Krumland and Lora Hansen were married in Byron.
— Tracy Press