Children younger than 14 will be invited for games and activities, and local businesses are being asked to get involved.
Sandra went missing from the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park in March 2009, and on June 14, 2010, Melissa Huckaby was sentenced to life in prison without parole for her murder.
“It is our hope that something very positive comes out of a tragedy, and therefore, in honor of Sandra's birthday, we would like to celebrate Tracy's children,” said Janet Anderson, a cousin of Maria Chavez, Sandra’s mother.
Anderson is organizing the day’s events.
“The idea is to honor Tracy’s children while also advertising your business.”
Last year, Sandra’s family had a memorial that was open to the public, but this year, it was decided to open the event children, especially.
“It’s a little different … kind of a way to give back to the community’s children,” said Anderson. “I think Sandra would really like that.”
“We don’t want to concentrate on anything negative and hopefully give back to the community and be a win-win type of thing,” Anderson said.
So far, the activities planned are:
• From 10 a.m. to noon, there is a free bowling session (including shoes) at West Valley Bowl, 2365 E St.
• From 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Classic Gymnastics, 3602 Mars Way, has an open house.
n From 2 to 4 p.m., FTM Mortgage, 44 W. 10th St., will give out cake, and Klaas Kids literature and Sparkles the Clown will make balloon animals. Shereen Photography, will be on hand to take photos for children to take home.
• From 2 to 4 p.m. at the Tracy Fire Department, 835 Central Ave., firefighters will go over fire safety with assistance from Sparky, a robot.
• From 3 to 6 p.m., Sweet Treat Yogurt Shoppe, 2525 N. Tracy Blvd., will serve 5-ounce yogurt cups.
• From 4:30 to 5:15 p.m., the Traditional Martial Arts Academy, 2505 Tracy Blvd., will have an awareness clinic.
• Cold Stone Creamery, 1859 W 11th St., will give children one scoop of ice cream from 5 to 7 p.m.
• Flow Yoga Studio, 3602 Mars Court, will have a yoga for kids class from 5 to 6 p.m.
•For more information or to RSVP: Janet Anderson 321-5981.