Last week’s Remember When “mystery photo” showed staff members of the Holly Sugar factory holding up the banner recognizing the Tracy plant as the best overall operation for 1982-83. Left to right: Al Edwards, agriculture manager; Richard Corron, plant engineer; Carl Foster, union president; Louis Garcia Jr., factory manager; Frank Campbell, controller; and Dee Wallace, technical services manager. The Holly factory, opened in 1917, was closed 10 years ago — in December 2000 — by the Spreckels Sugar Division of Imperial Sugar Co. of Sugar Land, Texas. The packaging and shipping operations continued until 2005, when Imperial sold the facilities to the Southern Minnesota Beet Sugar Cooperative of Renville, Minn. Most of the property has been sold to the city of Tracy. The plant has been demolished in the past year. Goldie Lacy identified her brother, Carl Foster, and Gussie Owen identified those in the photo.
• If you know the answer or can’t wait until next week to get it, e-mail email@example.com or call 830-4234.
10 years ago — 2000
Work is being completed on the $4.5 million project to reconstruct Holly Drive between 11th Street and Grant Line Road.
Membership in the Boys and Girls Clubs of Tracy has tripled in the past year, raising the total to 1,800, according to Tim Sinatra, director.
Some 50 Brighter Christmas volunteers have delivered food and toys to 543 Tracy families.
Former Tracy High basketball standout Doug Silva scored six points and grabbed seven rebounds for Idaho State in the Stanford Invitational Tournament.
After serving 27 years as a school trustee, Marc Marchini of Union Island is retiring. He started as a board member at Delta Island Island Elementary School District and then became a Tracy High trustee.
25 years ago — 1985
Services have been conducted for Manuel Ayala, 57, a decorated veteran of the Korean War.
The Henry Bitter home on South Corral Hollow Road won first place in the Tracy Rotary Club’s annual Christmas Decorating Contest.
Jason Roach, a sophomore at Tracy High, won the gingerbread house competition among students in Sigrid Rainer’s German classes.
The James Irvine Foundation of San Francisco has donated $75,000 to help finance the construction of the Boys and Girls Club at Monte Vista School.
50 years ago — 1960
Alfred Talley, a 1960 graduate of Bolt School of Law at the University of California, has passed the State Bar Exam.
Mayor Bob Monagan has resigned from the City Council to assume his duties as a state assemblyman. Vice Mayor Henry Buthmann has taken over the mayor’s duties.
Sam Matthews and Joan Pflugrath, both of Tracy, were married Dec. 21 at the First Methodist Church. The bride teaches at Senior Elementary School, and the groom is employed at the Tracy Press.
75 years ago — 1935
The Livermore Cheese Co. is planning to build a cheese factory in Tracy. A site on Holly Drive just north of Carlton Way has been selected for the plant.
Construction is to start soon on a new bridge over the San Joaquin River to make Maze Road east of Vernalis a connection between Tracy and Modesto.
100 years ago — 1910
Myrtle Frerichs has won the piano contest sponsored by the Tracy Bazaar. Runners-up were Wilhelmina Schmidt of Tracy and Antoinette Marraccini of Banta.
The Southern Pacific is planning a demonstration train down the West Side to show new farming practices to local growers.
• Information for this column was gathered from Tracy Press archives.