Dr. Keith Larick, superintendent of the Tracy Unified School District, is closing out his eight-year tenure before retiring at the end of the month.
Several residents of the San Joaquin River Club have sued the club’s board of directors, claiming it discriminated against and harassed them.
Bill Miller, manager of Tracy’s public-access television channel, is making plans to begin live televising of City Council meetings.
The Tracy Press and Stockton Record have ended a five-year partnership by mutual agreement. The Press has bought out the Record’s interest in the Press, reported Bob Matthews, Press publisher.
Sheila Harrison, former principal at Tracy High School, is returning to Tracy from Linden to become assistant superintendent of the Tracy Unified School District. She succeeds Jim Franco, who has been promoted to district superintendent.
25 years ago — 1987
The annual bloodless bullfights staged by the Tracy IPFES Portuguese society drew a full house to the bullring behind the Portuguese Hall. Matador Antonio de Lisbon of Portugal was the star of the event.
Carol Schubert, a member of the City Council, has been elected chairwoman of the Main Street program, which aims to push for development of Tracy’s downtown.
Carleen Costa, manager of the Tracy Board of Realtors, has been named winner of the Mattie Heywood Award as outstanding member of Soroptimist International of Tracy.
Marvin Barth has resigned from the city planning commission in order to have more personal time.
Members of the Raya family came from many cities to take part in a family reunion at South School Park.
50 years ago — 1962
A towering fire that shot flames more than 100 feet into the air consumed Otto’s Plymouth car dealership on East 11th Street (where RAS car wash is now). Some 2,000 Tracyites lined 11th Street to watch firefighters battle the blaze for several hours.
On 3-2 vote, the Tracy City Council has approved a new 10-year agreement with K&L Farms for the lease of city-owned land at New Jerusalem Airport southeast of town.
The San Joaquin County Planning Commission has denied a zoning change requested by Jose and Gracia Alves to permit development of a golf course and housing project on 276 acres of Fabian Tract west of Tracy Island Road.
Chefs for Greek Night at the Tracy Elks Lodge are John Gemelos, Pete Vlandis, Walter Schlauch and Pete Davanis.
Summer supervised playground programs are beginning in three Tracy parks, according to Joe Wilson, director of recreation.
75 years ago — 1937
Members of James McDermott Post, American Legion, have announced plans for the West Side Street Fair to be held Aug. 11 to 15. A queen contest is under way.
July 31 has been set as the date of the dedication of the new Tracy Post Office at the corner of 12th and Adam streets (now home of the Tracy Historical Museum).
George Murphy and Doris Nolan are starring in “Top of the Town” at the Grand Theatre.
100 years ago — 1912
The Tracy and West San Joaquin Board of Trade has asked the Board of Trustees (City Council) to ban girls under the age of 17 from being out in public after 8 o’clock at night. Some of the girls who need “protection” have been wearing short skirts, board members reported.
The campaigns for and against a high school district for the Tracy area are in full swing as the July 13 election date approaches.
— Tracy Press archives