Kelly Wilson has been promoted by the Boys & Girls Clubs of Tracy to be the youth-serving organization’s chief professional officer. Wilson, a club employee for the past two years, succeeds Tim Sinatra.
Trustees of the Tracy Unified School District have selected a 56-acre site on the east side of Lammers Road south of 11th Street for a third comprehensive high school. (It became Kimball High School.)
Paced by fleet running back Lavelle Hawkins, the Edison Vikings downed the Tracy High Bulldogs, 28-21, in the San Joaquin Athletic Association opener for both teams. (Hawkins later played at Cal and in the NFL.)
Weekend cow fights are scheduled at the Portuguese Hall.
25 years ago — 1988
Carter Jenson, 61, has resigned from the planning commission because of health problems.
William H. Jones has received a Prisoner of War Medal at ceremonies conducted at Tracy Community Church. During World War II, he was turret gunner on a B-17 bomber that was shot down over Germany. He was interned until Soviet troops liberated the Stalag in which he was a prisoner.
Tracy High’s Bulldogs used a staunch defense to dump the Antioch Panthers, 17-8, at Antioch.
Michele Vigil and Judy Kelley are close to becoming the first volunteer firefighters with the Tracy Rural Fire Department.
50 years ago — 1963
Charlie Payne, a well-known Tracyite, has retired as a parcel post carrier for Tracy Post Office after 38 years.
Ripon contractor Henry Bueving has been awarded a $155,000 contract by Jefferson School trustees to build a new multipurpose room and two classrooms at the school.
Firebaugh has become a second home for Southern Pacific crews from Tracy working in shipping melons.
Leo Arnaudo of Tracy and Lorraine Hickey of Hillsborough were married at St. Catherine’s Catholic Church in Burlingame. They honeymooned in Acapulco, Mexico.
75 years ago — 1938
The Cochran Co. Inc. has shipped 25 carloads of Union Island honeydew melons by rail to eastern markets.
The Tracy City Council is establishing no-U-turn intersections and parking zones as the number of cars increases.
George Imrie, local engineer with the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, has explained the workings of the Central Valley Project to a Tracy audience.
100 years ago — 1913
At the request of proponents, county supervisors have dismissed a petition to form an irrigation district around Tracy. The advocates want time to gather more names on a new petition.
A tin building that was put into use as a temporary movie house while the Arlington Theatre is being rebuilt has been closed for building violations.