Dr. James Franco, 52, who has been assistant superintendent for educational services, has been named to succeed Dr. Keith Larick as superintendent of the Tracy Unified School District.
Development of the second phase of the Northeast Industrial Area will begin soon, according to city officials. The first phase of the 870-acre industrial park is still under development.
A proposal to start a nightclub in the old Harry’s Chuck Wagon building on East 11th Street has neighbors alarmed.
Tracy firefighters Jim Haskell and Terry Hein helped deliver a baby girl in the back seat of a car on Mountain House Parkway. The baby and 26-year-old mother are doing fine.
City and county officials have pledged their cooperation in planning the development of land west of Tracy.
Marissa Pimentel of Tracy has been crowned Dairy Princess for District 5 of the California Milk Advisory Board.
New laptop computers are now in use by students at Duncan-Russell High School.
25 years ago — 1987
Tami Corso has been crowned Miss Tracy at the conclusion of the pageant in Tracy Community Center.
Mary Ann Church has been named new superintendent of the Jefferson Elementary School District, succeeding longtime superintendent Tom Hawkins, who is retiring after 31 years.
Services have been conducted for Andres “Andy” Arellano, 72, a former organizer for labor unions representing agricultural workers.
Ray Dion, a maintenance mechanic at the Owens-Illinois glass-container plant, is the new exalted ruler of the Tracy Elks Lodge.
A six-member Rotary Group Study Exchange team from Sweden is visiting Tracy. Members are living with families of Tracy Sunrise Rotary Club.
50 years ago — 1962
Cottonseed Clark and his band will play for the Policemen’s Ball barn dance scheduled April 27.
Leone Barry is the new president of the VFW Auxiliary.
Ben Nielsen, managing partner of Sun Valley Creamery; jeweler Lorin Jolley; and Earle Williams, superintendent of the PCA aggregates operation, have been elected to the City Council. They were top vote-getters among nine candidates.
Lloyd Johnson has been installed exalted ruler of the Tracy Elks Lodge.
Tracy High Future Farmers winning gold awards in the annual Wells Fargo Bank farm-project competition were David Freitas, Carl Patello, Stanley Petz, Danny Roza and Henry Tosta.
The Tracy High Bulldogs topped Lincoln, 4-2, for their second Valley Oak League baseball victory. Tom Costa and Nick Eddy paced the Tracy hitting attack with two hits each.
75 years ago — 1937
Construction has been started on the Tracy Motel, located next to Tracy High School on East 11th St. The business is owned by James Hay. Jere Strizek is the contractor on the $20,000 project.
The City Council is considering acquiring land owned by the Slack family for a city park. The city would forgive local taxes and pay off West Side Irrigation District taxes to acquire the property. (It later became Lincoln Park.)
The Peterson Ice Cream Co. has expanded its ice cream mix plant on B Street just south of 11th Street.
100 years ago — 1912
Organization of the Tracy Fire Department is under way. The volunteer force will start out with 29 citizens who signed up to respond to fires.
Mrs. W.P. Friedrich, wife of the former Tracy Press publisher, was honored at a farewell party at the Presbyterian Church. The couple is moving to Napa County.
— Tracy Press archives