Last week’s Remember When “mystery photo” shows the old Mossdale Y on the east side of the San Joaquin River Bridge in the 1920s. The road that continues left is Highway 50 heading toward Stockton. At right is the beginning of State Route 120, which traveled through the center of Manteca on Yosemite Boulevard on its way to the national park of the same name.
In the background of the photo at right is the old Mossdale School. Florence Aburua Drury reports that in the 1940s, Angelo Petrini Sr.; his twin sister, now deceased, Angela Marcucci; Tony Quierolo; and Don Bianchi were all classmates in the school. Ed Krohn remembers his father, Lester Krohn, attended Mossdale School before the family moved to Fabian Tract. Mike Kaelin notes that the Mossdale intersection was an important junction in the Lincoln Highway system from 1913 to 1928. Gary Kinst’s book, “The Lincoln Highway: From Mossdale to Mountain House,” has more information.
• If you know the answer or can’t wait until next week to get it, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 830-4234.
10 years ago — 2001
Tracy is in great need of affordable housing, members of the Tracy Tomorrow Land Use Task Force have declared. More apartments and high-density housing would help, they said.
Expansion of the U.S. Cold Storage facility on MacArthur Drive has been approved by the city planning commission. The additional 68,000-square-foot cold-storage warehouse will match the size of the original building on the 12-acre site.
Gordon Lindquist has been elected chairman of the planning commission, succeeding Rollie Swingle.
T-shirts with a new logo herald the approaching 15th annual California Dry Bean Festival, according to Leslie Hamrick, executive vice president of the sponsoring Tracy Chamber of Commerce.
John Eagal of Stockton is developing a waterski lake on property bordering the San Joaquin River east of Tracy.
25 years ago — 1986
A bottleneck along Tracy Boulevard north of Grant Line Road will soon be broken with a second northbound lane.
Inland Container Corp. of Diboll, Texas, has taken over ownership and operation of the Owens-Illinois cardboard container plant south of Tracy.
Harold “Tiny” Wagner has retired as manager of the Tracy Cemetery. Dick Blexrude is succeeding him.
Thirteen names have been suggested for the elementary school under construction in southwest Tracy. (Louis Villalovoz was the name selected.)
Paula Re has been installed as the first president of the Italian Catholic Federation of St. Bernard’s Catholic Church.
50 years ago — 1961
W.E. “Brownie” Brown, operator of Tracy Appliance and a volunteer ambulance driver and police reservist, has been named “Mr. Tracy” during the annual Tracy Chamber of Commerce installation dinner. James Dowd, manager of Crocker Bank, is the new chamber president.
A 2-cent-per-box increase has given tomato pickers a minimum rate of 14 cents a box.
The Rev. Ken Dahlstrom has been installed as pastor of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church.
Dr. and Mrs. Wesley McIntire were given a housewarming party at their home at 1518 Madison.
75 years ago — 1936
The cost of improving Highway 50 through Tracy will be $30,000, local officials have been told.
A summer playground program funded by federal WPA money is under way at West Park School.
Free sandwiches and “good music” are promised at the Saturday night dances at the Banta Inn.
100 years ago — 1911
Lots in the new West Park subdivision on Tracy’s west side are going from $275 to $375. A down payment of $9.55 is required.
The Arlington Theatre on Front (Sixth) Street features moving pictures and four vaudeville acts on weekends.
— Tracy Press archives