Celebrating Tracy’s Children is scheduled for Thursday, March 8, and will feature free activities from several businesses in Tracy, according to event organizer Janet Anderson.
The second-year event, for Tracy residents age 12 and younger, falls on what would be the 11th birthday of Sandra Cantu, said Anderson, who is also Cantu’s cousin.
In March 2009, Sandra, then 8 years old, went missing from her home in Tracy. Melissa Huckaby, a Sunday school teacher and Cantu’s neighbor, subsequently pleaded guilty to murdering the child and was sentenced to life in prison without parole in June 2010.
Anderson stated in an email that the event both recognizes all children in Tracy and honors Sandra’s memory.
“She loved playing with others, and I believe she would have truly enjoyed watching the children enjoy a day like this,” she said. “Children are a special gift and our future, and Celebrating Tracy’s Children is a way for us to celebrate the gift of our community’s children.”
Anderson said participants can attend individual events or all of them, but she said several of the classes have size limits and participation is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For details about each event: www.tracycelebrateschildren.com.
A day for children
The following free events are scheduled Thursday, March 8, as part of Celebrating Tracy’s Children:
• 9:30 to 11 a.m.: Open house, Classic Gymnastics, 3602 Mars Way
• 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.: Nail painting, Envy Nails, 553 W. Clover Road
• 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.: Intro to ballet, tap & Jazz Tiffany's Dance Academy 563 W. Clover Road
• 1 p.m.: Story time, Barnes & Noble, 3150 W. Naglee Road
• 2 to 4 p.m.: Child safety event, Tracy Fire Department, 835 Central Ave.
• 3 to 5 p.m.: Bowling and face painting, West Valley Bowl, 2365 East St.
• 4 to 9 p.m.: Dance and Gymnastic Classics, Performing Arts Academy 2505 N. Tracy Blvd.
• 4:30 to 5:15 p.m.: Personal safety clinic, Traditional Martial Arts Academy, 2505 N. Tracy Blvd.
• 5 to 6 p.m.: Yoga class, Flow Yoga Studio, 3602 Mars Way, Ste. 125
• 5 to 7 p.m.: Free scoop and balloon animals, Baskin-Robbins, 965 S. Tracy Blvd.
• 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.: Sword and Hawaiian hip-hop demos, Lokes Looks, 1195 W. 11th St.